The fraternity and sorority community at the University of South Florida is a thriving group of organizations that represent various backgrounds, principles and values. USF recognizes that fraternities and sororities can be a valuable component of the undergraduate experience and the growth of this community can enhance the capability of students on our campus.
The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life Expansion Operating Procedure applies to: 1) USF-Tampa students requesting to bring any inter/national fraternity or sorority to the USF-Tampa campus or, 2) inter/national fraternity or sorority headquarters who seek recognition at USF. Local fraternities and sororities may not expand on the USF-Tampa campus. The University operates with an assumption of non-expansion unless a need has been determined to change this assumption. Students and/or inter/national organizations must contact the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life to determine the institution’s current status regarding when expansion will be allowed before initiating any expansion efforts.
Please note the following are pre-requisites for any organization wishing to expand at USF:
1. Be a inter/national as defined by the University of South Florida
2. General commercial liability insurance policy with a minimum of one million dollars in coverage
3. Have established policies in the following areas: recruitment/intake, membership education, anti-hazing, non-discrimination, and risk management
4.Have Tax Exempt Status under Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code
5. Do not limit membership to persons pursuing or having interest in a particular field of study, profession or academic discipline
6. Do not serve as honorary societies for academic, leadership, or any other endeavor
7. Do not permit members to hold membership in other social sororities or fraternities
There are no exceptions to the above prerequisites. Organizations who do not meet the above-listed requirements will not be eligible to expand at the University of South Florida.
Please note: our expansion timelines are scheduled through 2019. Please contact Viancca Williams, Assistant Director of Fraternity & Sorority Life, with any questions.